Sunday, July 1, 2007

Dahiwala Baingan Bhartha (Smoked aubergines with yoghurt)


I know my hubby was a punjabi in his previous life and I must've been a malayalee. The passion with which he looooves makki ki roti with dal, aalo ka parantha with white butter, any kind of dhaba food, pakoras of any kind is beyond comprehension.

The same way, my folks wonder what happened to their punjabi daughter (me) and my changed taste buds when I go on on about the intoxicating onam sadya I had had, and the appam with stew (gosh I should make this soon), parip payasam, nool puttu, parip vada, thorans of any kind, aviyal and moorkootan.

One such punjabi dish that hubby loves to have with tandoori roti is dahiwalla baingan bhartha. Its a tweak of the usual baingan bhartha that is made with tomato and peas.


What you need:

3-4 large aubergines
1 cup of plain yoghurt
salt and chilli powder to taste

for the tempering:
3-4 tsp of oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of hing
2-3 sprigs curry leaves

method:

1. Roast the aubergines directly on the fire until they are completely charred from all sides. Keep the stem away from the flame and use it to turn them as the aubergine roasts. Cool in a plate. (Dont worry, its not going to burn the aubergines, it'll only give them a smoky flavour and cook them through.)


2. Peel the burnt skin and wash each aubergine gently under running water. Chop of the stem and mash the flesh of the aubergines. They can also be run in the processor.


3. In a bowl whisk the yoghurt. Add the mashed smoked aubergine flesh. Add salt and chilli powder to taste.

4. For the tempering. Heat the oil on medium high flame. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, hing nd curry leaves. When mustard seeds start to splutter, add to the yogurt bowl and fold everything togethor. Serve with tandoori roti or rice. Serves 4.


I am sending it over to Sangeeta of Ghar ka khaana, as a second dish for JFI. JFI is conceived by Indira of mahanandi.


I am also sending it to the RCI-regional cuisines (Punjab) event where different regional cuisines of india are celebrated every month. It was conceived by Lakshmi of Veggie Cuisine and hosted this month by lovely Richa of As Dear As Salt.

11 comments:

musical said...

Lovely dahi bharta, Dumela. There's a parallel in Kashmiri cuisine too, called buz-wangun, but doesn't involve any tempering.

btw, i agree mustard and hing and the essence of this recipe.

hugs,
musical.

Richa said...

so change of tastes after u got married heh!heh!
such a quick dish, roasted baingan sure has lovely taste :)
thanks

Cynthia said...

I've never seen it with yoghurt before... looks really creamy.

Asha said...

Mouthwatering Dumela.I am getting some Eggplants from my garden shortly,will try:))

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Hey Dumela,

I love the combination of eggplant and yogurt. I ate it for the first time as a eggplant 'pachadi' south indian style recently, and I've been hooked. This is a similar recipe! Very nice shot of the smoking eggplants!

Kanchana

Mishmash ! said...

Hello Dumela, Thanks for dropping by page . Using avocado in a trifle is new to me...also the stuffed tomatoes were really interesting and so is the smoked aubergines with yoghurt....I have never tasted this dish but pic tempts me a lot :)

Thanks!
Shn

Priyanka said...

Had never heard of dahi-baingan. sounds yummy.

Sharmi said...

that recipe looks sinfully great. what I do is bake the baingan in the oven to avoid the mess to be cleaned above the stove. thats fast and easy.

Mallika said...

You know I ate this at a party with crisps and it was delicious as a dip. I must try this soon.

Hima said...

In andhra we make something called vankaya perugu pachadi, which follows the same procedure. Need to try this for a variation. Thanks for sharing.

Rachna said...

sorry guys for responding to you all so late... but better than never I guess

musy - buz-wangun is new to me...will watch out for that at anita's

richa - yup :)

cynthia - yes do try it

asha - lemme kno

kanchana - thank u

mishmash - welcome and let me know how your trials came out

priyanka - thank u

sharmi - thats a good idea hey

mallika - please do

hima - thank u