Friday, August 17, 2007

Methi and Leftover dal ki missi poori with aaloo

Ok, I give in. This whole week, I said to myself I wudn't fry, and be on this 'healthy' salad diet. And what do you know? There's an event, more like an invitation to a party to encourage us to fry pooris and to have it with the ever tempting aaloo sabzi...grrrr

So yesterday I said, what the heck...I might as well make it :) which made hubby the happiest person on the planet. Anita, this whole week you are shining on my blog :), you sure are good at tempting others to cook. With blogging about food like this, for sure we will never loose our tyres....

Since its raining poori aalo in the blogosphere and everyone was making pooris with plain aata, I thought I should make my dal methi poori. Using leftover dal? u ask; yup, I say.

I have two aaloo bhaji recipes here, one which I've always had in my parents house with poori, kachori, etc and the second one is a southie version, my mallu friend taught me. Each is in its own league. I made the second one yesterday which was devoured before I could take any pics :S

I usually make these pooris whenever there is any kind of leftover dal, and my hubby always encourages me to make excess dal so that I make his dal pooris!! For the pooris I made yesterday I had lots of dal palak (mung dal split with spinach and onion tomato tadka) left from the previous day. The dal should be a mushy mushy consistency. Offcourse these methi pooris can be made on the tava with lesser oil too, but Anita said F R I E D, so we fried, :p.

Image : The dry ingredients before kneading with the dal
For the methi missi poori you need:
-1 cup aata (any brown bread flour)
-1 cup besan (chana flour)
-2 tbsp dried kasuri methi
-1 tsp dry dhania powder (optional)
-some leftover dal

what to do
1. In a bowl throw in the aata, besan and methi. Optionally add a tsp of dry dhania powder. Use the leftover dal to knead the dough (dont use any water). If you run out of the dal, use milk to combine the rest of the flour. Make a fairly stiff dough. Even if they dont rise while frying, they will be moist because of the besan and dal. No chance of getting any cluries (cardboard like poories)!!

2. Take enough dough to make a 10cm round which is 1/4cm in thickness (it should not be too thin, else you run the danger of them becoming cluries; it should not be too thick, else you run the danger of them not getting cooked through).

3. Deep fry them, in hot oil until they are pink in colour. Alternately toast them on a tava like missi roti, painting with a little bit of oil on both sides.

4. Find any bhaji to eat with and devour quickly. Also you can have them just like that rolled with mango or lemon pickle. Its excellent tiffin and picnic food. (Makes 12 small pooris)

Aaloo bhaji 1 (northie version)- has more gravy
what you need
- 3-4 boiled potatoes finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 tsp methade (whole fenugreek seeds)
- 3 tsp oil (any vegetable oil)
- salt and chilli powder to taste
- 3/4 tsp haldi (tumeric)
- handful of finely chopped green coriander

what you need to do
1. Heat the oil in a deep pan. When hot, throw in the jeera and methade. When they change a few shades darker (which takes a few seconds), put in the tomato and saute briefly. Add three of the chopped boiled potatoes and add 3 cups water.

2. Whilst it starts coming to the boil, mash the one potato that was not added. Add salt, chilli powder, and tumeric. Dont think the tumeric is too much, we need a deep yellow colour. When it comes to a strong boil add the mashed potato and simmer for 10 minutes. Garnish with coriander and serve with poori or kachori.

Aaloo bhaji 2 (southie version) - is a semi dry consistency
what you need
- 3-4 boiled potatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 4-5 green chillies split
- 1 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 3 tsp oil (any vegetable oil)
- salt and chilli powder to taste
- 1/4 tsp haldi (tumeric)
- 4-5 sprigs of mint

what you need to do1.
1. Heat the oil in a deep pan. When hot, throw in the mustard seeds and urad dal. When the mustard seeds starts to splutter(which takes a few seconds) add the urad dal and ginger and green chillies; saute until they change a few shades darker (which again takes a few more seconds) or when you hear people in the adjacent room coughing. Put in the onions and saute for some more time, until the onions become translucent. Add the chopped boiled potatoes and add 1 and a 1/2 cups water.

2. While it starts coming to the boil, add salt, chilli powder, tumeric and mint. Here we need a light yellow colour and I promise you the mint is the king in this dish. When it comes to a strong boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes. Serve with poori.

19 comments:

Anita said...

Dal, atta, besan, methi - sounds very healthy to me! Glad you gave in! After this, we are all back to eating healthier as we always do!

Love the haji too - my northy bhaji is quite similar except that you've added methi - will try that next time.

Glad you came!

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Love the poori recipe. I gotta try that one out!


Kanchana

musical said...

He he, i love the daal wali rotis and pooris :). Punjus use left over things in yummy way, don't they ;).

hugs to you, dear. These are lovely poori-bhaaji recipes. i will post mine during the weekend.

bee said...

i am going to try this in roti format. besan added to roti always makes it more delish.

Hima said...

Those puris are looking great. Looking at puris all over blogworld I feel like making them right now.

Richa said...

love those alu, called the 'puriwaley alu' :)
puris look amazing, well done!

Aruna said...

Oh My!!! I want to have those lovely pooris now please!!!

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

Vcuisine said...

They are lovely Rachna. Viji

Cynthia said...

Oh the things we do for food blogging. Those pooris look too good.

Aruna said...

Man I gotta try this!!! looks very good :-)

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

TBC said...

That's a new twist on the regular poori recipe. Beautiful pooris, Rachana

Sharmi said...

that poori is very creative. a nice name to it too. delicious!!

Rachna said...

anita - i had fun too,

kanchana - thank u, please do

musy - i know!! i love leftover khichdi ka pakodas!!

bee - defintely

hima - go ahead ... there are times when nothing satisfies like a poori

richa - yes!, thank u

aruna - come over for some chai

viji - thank u

cynthia - thank u

tbc - thank u

sharmi - thank u

Priyanka said...

Hey Rachana,
Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind words. Have heard of Missi roti but never Missi poori- quite a different and tasty twist to the traditional recipe. Will keep visiting for more yummy recipes:)

Srivalli said...

Rachna..the puris are excellent....I just read your postcard in jungalbandi...no words to explain the beauty of africa that you brought us through your words. I was able to visualize the wilderness and the beauty of the wild africa...thanks for sharing it with us...

Srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

neroli said...

Rachna, what a wonderful recipe---I always cook more dal than I can eat---now you've justified it for me! Thank you!

Rachna said...

priyanka - do that

srivalli - i am glad u enjoyed reading it

neroli - sure anytime

Chill...can we? said...

Do you think you can invite me for dinner sometime??? I can never get my puris to fluff up like yours :(

Rachna said...

chill - hee sure...come over anytime....dont make them too thin! :)