Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Clicking Eggs after completing a year

I just cant believe that Ive been blogging for just over a year now. Most people like me discover the food blogosphere in the quest for a recipe... I was looking for Naranaga Pickle and stumbled upon Injipennu's Ginger and Mango... then onto Asha's Foddie's Hope....and I was amazed at the way these ladies would cook and present their recipes. I was truely inspired... I wanted to make my contribution too and hence (Fusion Food then) and Soul Food now was born... and in the process discovered so many amazing blogs and lovely friends. Food blogging has become such an obsession and even though I dont have very deep archives, I thoroughly enjoyed sharing recipes and finding new recipes and great food ideas.

I get so amused when I think back ... one time putting hubby and baby to sleep and getting up in the middle of the nite to write a post!! Ive met such amazing people who've become such good friends. Asha was the first one to always visit my blog and encourage me frequently, thank you so much dear. There are some who are such darlings with whom Ive exchanged so many emails; and there are those that always come to read about ramblings and comment on my recipes. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

And what better way to celebrate than to click a picture for the cutest couple in the blogosphere, Jay and Bee!!! They've got a cooool event going on to encourage food photography. Its a theme based event and just what I was looking for to push me to take better pictures... This month they want us click some eggs. Ive put a ostrich egg next to normal farm eggs to show a comparison in size. Ostriches are native to Africa and lay the largest eggs in the world. One ostrich egg is equivalent to 2 dozen chicken eggs!!

Wikipedia says: Ostrich eggs can weigh 1.3 kg and are the largest of all eggs, though they are actually the smallest eggs relative to the size of the bird. The nest may contain 15 to 60 eggs, with an average egg being 15 cm (6 inches) long, 13 cm (5 inches) wide, and weigh 1.4 kg (3 pounds). They are shiny and whitish in color. The eggs are incubated by the females by day and by the male by night.
All pictures were taken by a Sony Cyber-shot. The third picture was an amazing artwork that we picked up at Outshoorn, a small town full of ostrich farms in South Africa.

31 comments:

TBC said...

Wow! Absolutely beautiful pics!... and you were saying something about not being too happy with your pics!(in your earlier post)
Love the artwork in the 3rd pic.
Happy first blog-anniversary. Here's wishing you and your blog the very best.

remya said...

happy anniversary!!!! really beautiful pics...specially the artworked one....sooo cute....

musical said...

Happy blog B'day, Rachna! You are a lovely person and i am soooooo glad we met :). The pictures are cool! Do the ostrich eggs taste good? The egg kettle looks great, how do they preserve the eggs? amazing!

hugs,
musical.

bee said...

i was about to send a search warrant out for you. that teapot is yours? i collect them, and yours is one of the most unique and gorgeous i have seen. thanks for taking part and happy birthday to one of my fav blogs and bloggers. hugs to you.

Richa said...

Happy B'day to Soul Food! It's always a pleasure visiting here :)
wow! that is some egg, HUGE!!
thanks for featuring Kesaria in your Tried n Loved series, glad u enjoyed it!
pichley wknd may thuannu yaad kitta, kisenu mili from botswana te' onanu dasseya i know someone from there heh!heh!

Roopa said...

wow thats such a lovely post :)Happy anniversary the photos are just too good !

Sharmi said...

heyyyy Happy b'day to Soul food!! lovely art work isn't it? I am seeing ostrich egg in blogsphere for the 2nd time today!

Tee said...

Congrats on completing a year !
And thats a gorgeous photo you have for the event!

PVP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pooja V said...

Happy Bday soul food...hope u have many many wonderful bdays. The tea pot is exceptionally good.

sra said...

Happy blog birthday, Rachna! Nice to know you. The pix are good and I'm really fascinated by the teapot.

Mishmash ! said...

The third one is a beautiful piece of art...I truly wish I could get one of those !!!!

:)
Shn

bindiya said...

Lovely pics Rachna and congrats too,one year is such a long time!

Asha said...

Beautiful pics!:))

I feel the same way about bloggers and blogging! I feel lucky too:)

Congratulations on completing one year. Blog on and enjoy. Hugs!:))

Padmaja said...

Wow!! I love that teapot and t6hose amazing eggs!! what a way to celebrate one year!!!
congrats to u!!!!

Padma said...

Wow Archana, seems like everyone is celebrating their first blog anniversary, wish you lots of luck and hugs on this occassion. I loved the Egg-teapot...simply superb!

Manisha said...

Lovely pictures, Rachna! That ostrich egg is h-u-g-e!

And congrats on the first anniv of your blog!

Cynthia said...

Congratulations! Hope there are many, many more blog anniversaries!

Sig said...

Happy Blog birthday dearest... Congratulations on completling one year. And BEAUTIFUL pictures... I so want to try an ostrich egg!

Pravs said...

Happy Anniversary! beautiful pic of the eggs.

Meeta said...

Happy blog birthday and I have to say that ostrich egg tea pot is rather unique!

Anita said...

Here's to many more...eggnog anyone? What did you do with your egg-shell?

Arun Shanbhag said...

Happy Blogging anniversary, Rachna!

WoW for those osrich eggs!
Did you actually use one of those ostrich eggs (equal to 2 doz eggs?)

I'm allergic to eggs, but do make omlettes for M occasionally! :-P

Rina said...

Wow, Good camparison. How did you manage to get the Ostrich egg?

KayKat said...

Happy 1st, Rachna!

That's a really cool picture! Where on earth did you find an ostrich egg?!!

Mona said...

Hi Rachna, nice blog, and nice pictures. My first time to your blog, and tat painting on tata egg is beautiful !!

www.monaafzal.wordpress.com

Mansi Desai said...

Congrats and good luck ahead!! i am as scared of sending an entry to the revered "Click" as you!! after seeing so many brilliant entries, I think I'm gonna be laughed at:D

btw, would be glad if you could participate in AFAM-Peach over at my blog!:)

ADT said...

Hey,

A lil late but Happy blog b'day in any case.. So glad you doing this, its makes me actually wanna cook too :) (you know I was coooking averse before) and then get to eat mouth-watering stuff..like the other day made the sauce of the stuffed tomatoes for vegetable bake ! It was YUMMY ! Thanks ! Aunty ko bhi batana, she'll be glad I'm sure :)

Rachna said...

tbc - thank u so much, so sweet of you to wish me like that... yes pics are on flickr thats why im soooo happy

remya - thank u

musy - hubby has had ostrich egg and he says its different! the eggs dont need special preservation... just keep them clean and dont drop them on the floor

bee - thank u... do u collect tea pots, or u collect decorative ostrich eggs?? The egg belongs to my mum now :)

richa - really? wow great stuff

roopa - thank u

sharmi - yup, thank u

tee - thank u so much dear

pooja v - thank u so much

sra - yah the teapot is the best hey

mishmash - come to south africa...

bindiya - thanku, yes it is a long time

asha - thank u so much...hugs back to you!!

padmaja - thank u dear

padma - thank u....its rachna... :)

manisha - yup its huge, thank u dear

cynth - thank u dear

sig - yah hubby loved it...am sure you will too

pravs - thank u

meeta - yes it is!

anita - put it as decoration piece... maybe I'll paint it :)

arun - no i didnt use it, i bought the eggs shell from an african curio shop

rina, kaykat - bought it from an african curio shop

mona - thank u

mansi - indeed there are great entries but i'm gonna try and take better pics thats all... i'm gonna try my best to make something with peaches...

adt - thanks so much sweetie...hey i will tell mom, she'll be so proud
....hugs to you... youve become such a pro..i swear

Vcuisine said...

Lovely pictures. Viji

Rachna said...

thanks viji