Sunday, April 20, 2008

Click apples, Musical's goody bag and Bhutanese red rice kheer

Apples: are my entry for Jai and Bee's lovely Click event: and this month's theme is 'Au Natural'.

One fine day when I entered my apartment lobby, I got a wift of the most aromatic masala and thought to myself, "Gosh these neighbour bachelor boys are cooking up a storm today....why dont they use their exhaust fans when cooking and not make us so hungry". As I turned to check my mailbox, I saw a big yellow bag and as I approched the bag and opened it I realised it was a parcel for me and it was smelling of lovely garam masala. I chuckled when I saw it was from Musical with all these goodies inside.
Here I'm showing everybody the lovely things that came out of the goody bag that Musical sent me from her cool punjabi kitchen!! There's Bhutanese red rice, of which Ive already made payasam which turned out yummy and pink from the colour of the rice. And there is a packet of Beluge Lentils that Ive never used and would love to experiment with. The garam masala is so aromatic that Ive kept it for special dishes like rajma and chole!!. The long peppers are new to me and Musical advised me to use in Raita's and salads. And many bars of yummy organic chocloate of which Ive finished a couple already.

If I had waited any longer there would be none for the picture as I'm just about to use the dark choc slabs to make some brownies this evening. Thank you musy for a lovely welcome goody bag!!!! I dont have the picture of the yummy pink kheer because it got devoured before I could find time to take a picture, but I will give you the recipe for sure!!!

Bhutanese Red rice kheer

1/2 cup Bhutanese Red rice
1 L milk (I used 750mls and added 250 mls later, and I used 2% organic milk)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
a handful of roughly chopped cashew nuts

Method:
1. Wash rice thoroughly and soak overnight.
2. Drain the rice and throw it in a pot with 750ml milk and bring to a boil.
3. Simmer on medium-low heat until the rice has swelled and cooked and the milk has reduced to two thirds.
4. Add the 250mls milk, sugar , cardamom powder and simmer on low for 15-20 mins more.
5. Garnish with the chopped cashews and server warm or cool and chill in fridge, whichever you prefer!

The colour of this kheer will be a lovely pink! Thanks again Musy....

17 comments:

bee said...

bhutanese re rice is fantastic and often grown organically. the chocs look yummy. thanks for the CLICK entry.

Arundathi said...

thats an interesting gift. Bhutanese red rice is so fabulous, and I've never seen the lentils - do let us know what you do make with it - looking fwd to your blog entries!

Sig said...

Musy is the best gift-giver... she comes up with the most interesting and unusual stuff... :) Great pics Rachna...

sunita said...

Isn't it great to come home to such goodies...have no idea about the bhutanese rice...must look out for it :-)

ranji said...

great entry..loved the photo!!

Divya Vikram said...

Lucky to get such nice gifts dear..and the click is too gud

Divya Vikram said...

Lucky to get such nice gifts dear..and the click is too gud

Divya Vikram said...

Lucky to get such nice gifts dear..and the click is too gud

musical said...

Hey Rachna, i am so glad you enjoyed the lil' presents. Kheer sounds like an awesome idea: Pink kheer would have looked so pretty! As for the click picture, you've made the apples look sooooooooooo luscious!

hugs,
musical.

Uma said...

those are nice goodies. Nice click too.

Purnima said...

All the ingr. in bowl (rice,lentil,pepper) are new to me! Thks for sharing n enjoy ur goodies! That CLICK is a beauty!

Mansi Desai said...

boy! I'm envious of that spread! looks awesome! and so do the apples:)

david santos said...

Good menu and good food.
Have a nice day

Cynthia said...

You very lucky woman!

Swati Raman Garg said...

hello punju gurl... lucky u .. cool gifts... i toooooo want gifts... ;)
next time u make that kheer post a pic... it sounds so tempting..:)

Asha said...

Hi Rachna, howdy? I came back from my hiatus on Wed. What a great goodie bag you got there girl, looks wonderful. Bhutanese rice? Never seen it here, may in the Whole foods, should try. Enjoy!:)

Té la mà Maria - Reus said...

very good blog, congratulations
regard from Catalonia Spain
thank you