Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Dev's lovely 1st birthday cake

NO, this cake is not my creation. I cannot be a computer engineer, study for my post-graduate degree, organize a birthday party for 150 people, be a mom AND bake the cake! And whenever I can't bake, the request goes to our cake baking lady and a good friend, Aisha. She's been baking cakes for us for 7 years now. She has an amazing ability to transfer my different north and south ideas into a beautiful edible creation. Everytime I ask her to bake a cake, its usually for an occasion. When we go through the design books she's got, I usually end up combining this design with that design, with a bit of this and that... and go away wondering how she's going to combine them all togethor. And then when I see the cake, I'm just left dumbfound and amazed at how beautiful it looks.

My son turning 1 was like the most special event for me ever, its like feeling that its my best birthday till date. I had to have a big bash and called everyone I knew. Offcourse there were skeptics who were saying, "Why such a big thing? Would Dev even remember this event?". But to me it is a big event and totally worthy of celebration. The best part is he laughed and played the whole time and didnt cry one bit!!! That just made my day!
When I went to see Aisha to ask her to bake the cake, this is what I remember telling her...
"I want a biiiiig ONE for the cake "
"...but for 150 people, its going to be a huge board size..." she said
" uhh, ya, okay then put it on a base, that should cover a piece for everyone" I said.
As I flipped through some pages I saw a square cake with a beautiful rainbow made with coloured sugar and just fell in love with it.
"...hmm cant we put this rainbow on the '1', it would be nice wishing him a rainbow... a promise for a bright colourful future" I said poeticly.
"hmmm..." she said.
"Oh please use warm yellow, red, orangy colours, he loves warm colours, no dark cold colours...no blaring blues, no dark purple and bottle green please"I said
"hmmm..." she said...
As I left her house, I thought to myself why do I make it complicated for her every time and tell her to add bits of this and that. Having a big 1 cake with a rainbow and only warm colours, is going to look like khichdi!!!
On the big day, as I was decorating the hall, the cake came in and I ran to see it...., and it was just amazing...... I was speechless!!! Thank you Aisha!

22 comments:

Sharmi said...

Happy b'day to Dev. My hugs and kisses to him!! The cake looks so beautiful. you must be real busy isn't it?

musical said...

Dumela:

Hey, a very happy B'day to Dev :) Sending lots of love, hugs and wishes his way :).

That cake does look AWESOME!

hugs,
musical.

Asha said...

Yes,you can do all that and more!Don't underestimate the super power of moms!:D
Cake looks great.Looks like he enjoyed it thoroughly.That's what imp,isn't it?
Hugs and kisses to you Dev:))

bee said...

wow. happy birthday to the little one. aisha is extremely talented indeed. you are very creative to come up with that design.

unless you push her, she can't explore her creativity, can she? i'm sure she likes that about you, and enjoys baking cakes for you.

Cynthia said...

You are right, you can't do everything and there is no need to. The cake looks bright and beautiful. I hope that Dev had a fantastic time.

Richa said...

hey, a very happy b'day to baby dev! the rainbow cake looks great!

Suganya said...

Just when I was thinking how much icing went into that '1', I understood it was 'customer satisfaction'. Happy B'Day Dev! I am sure he vl proud of u reading this post (well, when he gets to read, that is)

Coffee said...

Lovely cake!!!!! Many happy returns to Dev.:)

Coffee said...

BTW I have answered your question on my blog. :)

Swapna said...

That looks like a cake on top of a cake:). Loved ur selection and loves Aisha's creation. A very Happy 1st Birthday to ur kid! God bless him.

sra said...

A very happy birthday to your son! The cake's bright and beautiful!

ushaprashanth said...

Hi!
Happy B'day to Dev!!Cake looks fantastic!!!!!!!

Sia said...

b'day wishes to dev and sending him lots of kisses and hugs:) that cake is indeed HUUUUUUUGE and beautiful...

Santhi said...

Wow..what a CAKE ! Happy bday to Dev and you too ( I mean, its more of a great day for moms than for the child ;-) )

Dumela said...

aw wow, so nice for all you guys to wish him and send your kisses and hugs!!!

sharmi - yeah i was going mad juggling so many things... but the even turned out great, and i managed to hand in my dissertation, so little bit free now

musical - thanks!!

asha - i know... sometimes i wonder how i do so many things!!

bee - you r right, she never complains and put togethor my ideas so nicely...

cynthia - yes we had a great time

richa - thank u

suganya - hope he will be proud one day!!

coffee - thank u

swapna - thanks

sra - thank u so much

ushaprashanth - thanks!

sia - thank u

santhi - yes, was more like my bday!!! thank u

Vini K said...

Hey Dumela,thanks for visiting my blog,dear.And belated birthday wishes and lots of kisses to Little Dev!I am sure he had a blast on his 1st birthday.the cake looks very beautiful indeed.Your friend is sooo talented.A feast for the eyes too as well:)

Sig said...

Hey Dum (lol, I like that name :D). happy birthday to Dev... that is an amazing cake, your cake lady is so talented... and you too, to come up with such a beautiful design!

Dumela said...

thank u vini K!!

heee Sig, thanks!

Anita said...

Wow! What a gorgeous first birthday cake! Happy birthday wishes for the little one. I'm sure there was more than enough work with that party for 150 people!

Dilip said...

Thanks for visiting my blog...hey sorry for the lateness but happy belated b'day wishes to Dev...the cake is a gem for sure...thanks

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Happy B-lated b-day to your son!! LOVE the cake.. so colourful and looks sooo yummy!! I bet you had a great time!!!

Rachna said...

anita - there sure was, and even leftover cake!!

dilipji - its ok, thank u

islandgirl4ever - thank u, i sure did