Saturday, May 31, 2008

Amazing bean brownies for click

These bean brownies go to jugalbandi for their click beans event.


yes... brownies made from beans... reactions to this statement are of two types. The first is 'Eww...bean brownies, no way?!!!", and the second type of reaction is 'wow...bean brownies, really? I'm glad mine was of the second type, otherwise I would have never tried this recipe.
Just like the comments to the post where I found this recipe, at 101cookbooks.com, Most people commenting on the post were amazed and some were disgusted at the thought that brownies could be made with beans. Heidi's blog 101cookbooks showcases her amazing rustic, down to earth, healthy recipes, and I love her site for that.





If you like chocolaty goodness that is gudgy fudgy and yummy then you cant miss this recipe!! I was excited too that I could make my son's favourite brownies and he would be taking in more proteins than carbohydrates. Ive made this with kala chana/kadala and this time tried them with beans. The one with kadala had more texture to it as opposed to the beans but both were real chocolate goodness! Next I'm going to try them with chickpeas. This is how I tweaked Heidi's recipe:


- 1 and 1/2 cups boiled beans (you can use tinned too, I boil extra rajma, chole, kadala and keep a cup aside)

- 3 eggs

- 1 cup maple syrup (I'm telling you this brings an amazing flavour to the brownies)

- 4 ounces chocolate (I used 3ounces dark chocolate and 1 ounce normal bar chocolate... the leftover stash from Musicals goody bag)

- 1 stick/4 ounces butter (I used salted here)

- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (coz i couldnt find walnuts in the house)


I ommited coffee powder which Heidi puts in her recipe... see here.


1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease two 20cm X 20cm (or equivalent size baking pans).

2. Blend/puree the beans to a smooth paste. Use a couple of tbsp of milk to run the blender more smoothly. It should not be lumpy. Roughly chop the cashew nuts.

3. Melt the chocolate in the microwave on high for around 2 minutes or on gas over boiling water. When the chocolate is nearly melted, add the butter and stir togethor.

4. In a large bowl beat the eggs till they are light and fluffy.

5. Add the maple syrup into the beaten eggs and keep beating.

6. Add the melted butter and chocolate into the eggs and syrup mixture.

7. Add the beans puree and cashew nuts and combine togethor.

8. Pour in the greased baking pans to a thickness of not more than 2cm.

9. Bake for about 45 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

10. Cool in the pan before cutting into squares. Refridgerate.

4 comments:

bee said...

what a great recipe and click!! thank you. heidi's recipes are always unusual and fantastic.

Asha said...

That is a great idea to make brownies to make then healthy!:)

musical said...

Lovely! This is an amazing recipe! I do love the Chinese style steamed date-bean cake, so this one is sure to be a delight (plus the protein punch).

Good one, girl!

Arun Shanbhag said...

I certainly fall in the second camp:

"wow...bean brownies, really?"

Usually not a fan of brownies (they make my teeth chatter and I also have to spend hours in the gym burning off all those calories!)

But, bean brownies? WoW, WoW!

Its too hot to fire up the oven and try these now; but I want to experiment and see if I can get rid of the eggs and substitute cream or something.

Yumm!

Thanks for getting our creative juices going!
:-)